During the spring semester of junior year, majors with a 3.5 GPA are considered for the Honors Program. The Undergraduate Committee selects from this group, based on the advice of the department faculty, those who have demonstrated the ability and promise to successfully complete the course and thesis requirements of the program. Invited students who wish to pursue honors then choose a thesis advisor and begin work on a research project that culminates in an Honors thesis, completed during senior year.
- Invitation by the department to join the program.
- Completion of BA or BS requirements in any of the department's major programs.
- Completion of an approved departmental graduate course.
- Submission and defense of a thesis, both of which are judged to be satisfactory by the thesis committee, by the College deadline.
- An overall GPA of 3.5
To be considered for the Honors Program students are strongly urged to take the following courses in (or prior to) their junior year.
- Computer Science Majors: CS 450, CS 425, or CS 378 no later than Fall of the Junior Year.
Important Notes for Honors
Emory's Science Librarian, Kristan Chilcoat, has created the Math & Computer Science Honors Research Guide to assist students with their research and writing.
The Honor Program Coordinator is Professor David Zureick-Brown. Students interested in this program are urged to discuss it with Professor Zureick-Brown as early as possible.
2019 Honors Application Form
If you are finishing your degree in Spring 2020 and would like to be considered for Honors, please fill out this form.