FAQ for MS Applicants
What do I need to complete my application?
A complete application to the Laney Graduate School must include these elements:
- GRE (international applicants must also include their English Proficiency Exam such as TOEFL, TOEFL iBT "Special Home Edition", or IELTS)
- Statement of Purpose
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- $75 Application Fee
- Our Application Requirements page explains what is required from the Laney Graduate School and provides links to program pages that explain program-specific requirements.
- Our Admissions FAQ page contains answers to a number of common questions.
- For technical issues with the application, contact email@example.com.
- For questions about program requirements, contact Computer Science & Informatics directly: firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are the minimal requirements for the MS program?
Below are the minimal requirements for admission to the MS program:
- Working knowledge of a general-purpose programming language:
• Java (or C++), C recommended
• While Python is popular, we prefer that you also have knowledge of a general-purpose programming language above.
- Knowledge in Data Structure and Algorithms comparable to Emory's CS 323 course.
- Linear Algebra
- Multi‐Var calculus
- Data Structure and Algorithm
What are the concentrations for the MS program?
- The department offers a M.S. in Computer Science suited to individuals with an undergraduate degree in computer science or mathematics with computational experience.
- M.S. in Computer Science with a Data Science concentration suited to individuals with an undergraduate degree in computer science with a special interest in data science.
- The departments of Computer Science, Biomedical Informatics, and Biostatistics jointly offer a M.S. in Computer Science with a Biomedical Informatics concentration.
- M.S. in Computer Science with a Computational Science concentration. This concentration will prepare students to apply quantitative and computing methods to emerging challenges in the natural and physical sciences.
Does Emory offer financial assistance?
Each student that is accepted to the program receive a 50% tuition scholarship. There are teaching assistant jobs available on campus. You will be able to view the positions on the Emory Handshake website (a career builder website for Emory students).
Are there teaching assistance jobs available for MS students?
There are teaching assistant jobs available on campus. You will be able to view the positions on the Emory Handshake website (a career builder website for Emory students): https://emory.joinhandshake.com/login
What is the average of GRE scores of admitted students?
While we do not keep GRE statistics for our admitted students, the following link will give insight regarding our admitted students: http://www.graduateschool.emory.edu/academics/data/masters.html
What is the minimum GRE score requirement?
We do not have a minimum GRE score requirement nor do we require any prior research experience though experiences that demonstrate the applicant’s likelihood of being successful researcher are very helpful. We evaluate each application and consider it in its entirety as we try to evaluate how well-suited our program is for the applicant, their qualifications and aspirations. In short, while we do require GRE scores to be submitted, other aspects of the application, including the academic transcript, reference letters and personal statement are at least as important.
What is the minimum score for the TOEFL exam?
Combined TOEFL score of at least 85 (90 recommended).
For Internet-based TOEFL test, a minimum total score of 85 is required (90 recommended), and for the paper-based TOEFL test, a total score of 600 is required.
Do you accept IELTS? If so, what is the minimum score for admission?
Yes, our program does accept IELTS. 7 is the minimum score for admission.
Is it possible to have my TOEFL requirement waived?
If applicants graduate from an accredited institution in the United States, then they will be exempt from taking the TOEFL exam.
Should I send my TOEFL and GRE scores to your department through ETS?
Yes, applicants may submit their test scores to Emory via ETS.
Emory's code is: 5187
Unofficial transcripts issued by the Registrar to you (the student) are acceptable.
You are required to submit one transcript from each post-secondary institution attended, present school included. International transcripts must be translated and notarized. If accepted to our institution, you will be required to submit your official final transcript.
As part of the online application, upload a scanned transcript from each post-secondary institution you have attended, present school included. The transcripts must be issued by the registrar’s office. Unofficial copies issued to the student are fine.
We will not accept printed web pages from the University’s student information system. If you submit this, the processing of your application may be delayed. If you want to upload an electronic transcript issued by your registrar's office, make sure we can open that document without passwords or other security information. Later on, if you are admitted and accept, then you will need to submit official copies (sealed or sent to us directly from a university registrar).
Transcripts that are not in English must be translated and notarized. Please scan both the original and the translated versions, and submit them together as one file using the online application.
May I add recommenders after submitting my application?
Must all letters of recommendation be submitted before the application deadline?
If you are unable to have your recommender to submit your recommendation letters before the deadline, please have them directly submit their recommendation letters to: email@example.com
How much is tuition?
You will find information regarding tuition fees on the following page:
*Students accepted to the MS Computer Science program will receive a 50%
How long is the MS program at Emory University?
Most students complete the MS program within 2 years.
Do I need to have a degree in Computer Science in order to apply for the MS program?
You do not need to have a degree in Computer Science. However, the computer science program is suited to individuals with an undergraduate degree in computer science or mathematics with computational experience.
May I apply to more than one program at your institution?
Applicants will need to submit a separate application for each program.
Does this program give STEM extension?
Yes, Emory University does offer international students F1 STEM-OPT extensions. Our advisors in International Student & Scholar Services offer workshops throughout the semester to help students understand the guidelines.
I also wanted to visit the Emory campus. How can I schedule it?
Due to the impact of COVID-19, the CSI program will transition to a virtual campus visit experience.
Does Emory University offer conditional acceptance?
Unfortunately, the Laney Graduate School does not offer conditional admission.
Does your institution accept applications for the Spring semester?
The application cycle is only for the Fall semesters. We do not currently offer Spring admissions.